Sept/Oct Book Club Announced!

Happy Friday readers! Today I’m pleased to announce that we have decided on our choices for book club picks concerning September and October; we’re hoping that by announcing both right now it will give you all plenty of time to secure them from the library, or purchase if you’d rather, and will also give you plenty of time to read them. Sam and I have envisioned alternating genres each month to keep things fresh, and were also wanting to pick some older books that are easier (and cheaper!) to acquire, so if you’ve already read them you can certainly join in the discussion we’re having as well. We weren’t really thrilled with folks having to come to two separate blogs in order to participate in the discussion, so this month we are going to try out a live Twitter convo! Don’t worry, we’ll be posting the questions ahead of time on our blog so that you can be prepared, but we wanted to generate more of an old fashioned book club feel with the convenience of modern technology connecting us from all over the world. We’ll be posting the exact date/time at a later moment, but our September convo will take place toward the end of the month, so feel free to start reading book 1 at any time!

Woo Hoo! The book selections! For the month of September, Sam and I decided to pick a historical fiction novel that was immensely popular, but neither of us had read yet. For October, we wanted to pick something that was a bit spooky (but not too scary!) so we went with one that Sam has not read yet, but is an absolute favorite of mine. It’s been years since I’ve read it though, so I’m excited for the re-read and seeing what all I pick up the second go around and what I may have forgotten. DRUM ROLL PLEASE…..

September-Historical Fiction
THE NIGHTINGALE BY KRISTIN HANNAH

Despite their differences, sisters Vianne and Isabelle have always been close. Younger, bolder Isabelle lives in Paris while Vianne is content with life in the French countryside with her husband Antoine and their daughter. But when the Second World War strikes, Antoine is sent off to fight and Vianne finds herself isolated so Isabelle is sent by their father to help her.Β

As the war progresses, the sisters’ relationship and strength are tested. With life changing in unbelievably horrific ways, Vianne and Isabelle will find themselves facing frightening situations and responding in ways they never thought possible as bravery and resistance take different forms in each of their actions.

October-Horror
NIGHT FILM BY MARISHA PESSL

On a damp October night, the body of young, beautiful Ashley Cordova is found in an abandoned warehouse in lower Manhattan. By all appearances her death is a suicide – but investigative journalist Scott McGrath suspects otherwise. Though much has been written about the dark and unsettling films of Ashley’s father, Stanislas Cordova, very little is known about the man himself. As McGrath pieces together the mystery of Ashley’s death, he is drawn deeper and deeper into the dark underbelly of New York City and the twisted world of Stanislas Cordova, and he begins to wonder – is he the next victim?Β

We are so thrilled to be kicking off Fall with these modern “classics”; we hope you’ll join us for our discussion. Stay tuned for more info! ❀

Advertisements

About The Suspense Is Thrilling Me

Chelsea is a happily married mother of two who's love of mysteries can be traced back to her first Nancy Drew experience. When not reading and writing book reviews, she likes to drink wine in her jammies and pretend that she exercises.
This entry was posted in General Post and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

66 Responses to Sept/Oct Book Club Announced!

1. Pingback: Coffee & Books I Didn’t Buy Yesterday – Gin & Lemonade

2. Lorna says:

Night Film is literally staring at me from my shelves!

Liked by 1 person

3. Oooo! NIGHT FILM is one of my absolute favorites too! So creepy and unforgettable. My boss and I read it at the same time and we both devoured it.

Liked by 1 person

4. Pingback: September 2017: TBR – The Book Raven

5. stslusher says:

This is so great! I LOVE The Nightingale and this is a good reason for a re-read. The other book sounds good too! Looking forward to many more book club selections!<3

Liked by 1 person

6. Martina Lively says:

Night Film is one of my favorite books ever. I listened to it as an audiobook and then bought it so I could look for clues about the ending. I loved the mixed media which definitely enhanced the reading experience. I’m eagerly awaiting more by this author.

Liked by 1 person

7. Fun selections! I’ve heard great things about those books! I wish I could join in this month. Hopefully in November!

Liked by 1 person

8. Absolutely love “The Nightingale”, One of my favorite reads!!I highly recommend! Linda

Liked by 1 person

9. Pingback: Literary Friday, ya’ll… – Traveling With T

10. Stephanie says:

I love The Nightingale ❀ A brilliant, wonderful choice! One of my favorite books; such a tearjerker!! I've never read Night Film, but I will try to read by Oct…yikes!! And try to participate! I missed out last month and was sad..and still haven't gotten a chance to read Bring Her Home 😦 Getting back in the groove of teaching has taken most of my time but having 164 students will do that on top of taking my own classes!! I hope to be able to participate with Sept since I've already read the book, lol!!

Liked by 1 person

11. Holly B / Dressedtoread says:

I liked to join in first book if I can manage it ! No horror for this scaredy cat!!….

Liked by 1 person

12. Night Film is such a goodie!πŸ™Œ

Liked by 2 people

13. Awesome no wait list on these so I can participate finally! πŸ™‚ Thanks for announcing 2 months at a time. πŸ™‚

Liked by 2 people

14. I can actually readalong The Nightingale for this next month! I don’t know if I will be able to join in for October though. I hadn’t heard of this book club before though, but I’d love to know if there is any specific way to sign up or any basic details about it.

Liked by 2 people

15. The Nightingale is a brilliant choice!

Liked by 2 people

16. novelgossip says:

OMG!! Where do I start?! πŸ˜‚ Ok so I love the idea of a Twitter discussion. Any chats I’ve participated on there have been soo fun! If you guys need any help moderating it let me know. I’ll definitely participate though!

The Nightingale is so freaking good, fantastic choice! I haven’t read Night Film so I’ll def be grabbing that.

Liked by 2 people