Popular Authors I’ve Never Read

Hey guys! I’ve seen this post floating around the blogosphere and thought it might be fun to share some of the popular authors I’ve never read. I chose 2 Sci-Fi/Fantasy, 2 Contemporary Romance, and 2 Young Adult authors to feature this go around and in the future I’ll certainly cover other genres. I tried to choose writers that I had at least one of their books on my shelf, although I believe a few are ones I plan on getting from the library. Do you see any of your favorites listed below? Who would you recommend trying first? ❤

NEIL GAIMAN

I actually don’t own a single one of Gaiman’s novels. Insert gasp. I have been meaning to read at least one of his books for years now and somehow have never happened across owning one, and literally ALL of them are ALWAYS checked out at the library with a wait list. This is probably a sign that his books are not only worth reading, but worth purchasing at that. I have been watching the Starz adaption of American Gods with Mr. Humphrey, which we love, so I’m hoping one day soon to pick up his novels and find myself hooked on his writing like so many other readers. Which of his books is best read first?

BRANDON SANDERSON

I know! He’s one of the greats and his books are amazing and yada yada yada. I’m just as embarrassed as you are for me, I promise. However, I finally have found the motivation to get some of his books read, as I have future buddy reads with Bentley @ Book Bastion scheduled to cover Steelheart and The Mistborn Trilogy. I feel like the sheer size of his novels have intimidated me, and maybe that’s why I’ve waited so long to pick these up, but hopefully now that I have a friend to motivate me along it’ll be much easier and enjoyable. Who am I kidding; our buddy reads are always hilarious!

K.A. TUCKER

Here’s an author that I’ve collected some of her books over the years and somehow never carved out the time to read them! I have got to be better about not letting review copies take over my reading world because I’m missing out on so many great pleasure reads! Tucker is one author I’ve added to my list of writers I’d like to read before the end of 2017 and I’m determined to make it happen!

TARRYN FISHER

Tarryn Fisher is living the dream of all indie authors; the fact that she has cultivated such a huge following from self-publishing her books is unheard of! I’ve actually owned some of her books for years and have gathered a few more recently; she’s another one I’m ashamed to not have experienced yet, especially since I’m a member of her PLN group on Facebook, but I’ve already got one picked out to bring on our next trip in a couple of weeks. Can I get an amen? Maybe I’ll just take a week off of life and binge read all of her books that I have. That sounds completely doable and I’m sure my husband wouldn’t mind at all. 😉

MARISSA MEYER

Marissa Meyer is one of the most talked about names in Young Adult fiction, so why is it I haven’t read her books yet? I own all four of the main Lunar Chronicles novels, so I really don’t have a good excuse. Just chalk this up to another set of books I’ve neglected in the frenzy and rush of getting ARCS reviewed. I’m hoping one day I can just clear my schedule enough to read them all in binge form, and while I wait I’ll have time to collect the companion novels as well.

MAGGIE STIEFVATER

I’m just going to stop apologizing for not reading all of the popular books yet. At the moment, I only own The Raven Boys (I had the pleasure of meeting Maggie at a conference last year and I bought the book to have her sign it), but I’m also really interested in reading The Scorpio Races, as she said this is her personal favorite out of all her novels written to date. Obviously I’ve been living behind a giant, sad rock, so hopefully I’ll be able to tackle some of these immediately!

That’s it for this post; next time I’m planning on including other various adult genres that I wasn’t able to talk about here. As always, I’d appreciate any and all suggestions on favorite books you see above and any authors you think you may like to see here! (I’ll check and see if I’ve read them or not) 😉

Advertisements

About The Suspense Is Thrilling Me

Chelsea is a happily married mother of two who's love of mysteries can be traced back to her first Nancy Drew experience. When not reading and writing book reviews, she likes to drink wine in her jammies and pretend that she exercises.
This entry was posted in General Post and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

59 Responses to Popular Authors I’ve Never Read

1. bookslover95 says:

I currently have the first book in the mistborn trilogy too!! If you get around to reading soon, can you let us know how it is.. it may be a little out my reading zone and I am not sure if I would like it. But I want to read it so bad #readerstruggles.

Liked by 1 person

2. I own the entire Raven Cycle series, and 5 Neil Gaiman books and have to read any of them. I also hav never read any of the Harry Potters, I’ve only read the first book in the Mortal Instruments series, I didn’t care it and have decided not to continue on with the series. I also own several K.A. Tuckers and have never read one hers either. You are def not alone lol.

3. stslusher says:

I have yet to read most of these myself. I know my buddy loves Tarryn & I’ve read one book by Neil Gaiman.

4. Rafs says:

I love how you write. It would so inspiring if you could give me feedback on my posts too please.

5. TeacherofYA says:

I was with you until the last two…then you lost me!

6. Pingback: Weekly Wrap-Up: 8/12 |

7. Jenneeffer says:

We’re on the same boat here! Haven’t read those either!

8. Yvo says:

Great list! Neil Gaiman is one of my favorite authors and I really enjoyed The Lunar Chronicles as well. I enjoyed The Raven Boys too, although I still have to continue that series. I hope you will be able to get to at least some of these! I can highly recommend Neverwhere, which is my absolute favorite Gaiman.

9. asheleytart says:

Fun list! Tarryn Fisher is the only author that I auto-buy as soon as the book goes live. Neil Gaiman’s books are in my top favorites. His children’s books are delightful, especially when you listen to him read them on audiobook. American Gods is one of my favorite books of all time; my family loves Fortunately, the Milk most because of the illustrations and because it is funny.

Liked by 1 person

10. I’ve read Coraline and The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I love his stories, they’re just so original! x

Liked by 1 person

11. I love this tag! So much fun. I’ve read the YA authors you have listed but not the others. There are PLENTY of popular YA authors whose books I haven’t read. And I’ve only even read Cinder of Marissa Meyer’s series, so I can’t say that I’ve finished that series either.

12. twogalsandabook says:

You are so not alone! I have not read any of these yet either! : )

13. Kurt says:

I read Neverwhere awhile ago to get the No-Gaiman monkey off my back. Good read, and since I have American Gods on my shelf and it’s the size of a brick, I would recommend the much shorter Neverwhere. Of course, can we count his Sandman graphic novel? I read that long ago and you could get through it in an hour.

Liked by 1 person

14. I laughed at this list because I’m so right there with you on most of them. I haven’t read any of these! And as an indie bookseller at a store where Neil Gaiman and Brandon Sanderson are like gods, I have no idea how I even got hired. I now have K.A. Tucker and Tarryn Fisher to add to my list of shame. (great, thanks!). 🙂

Liked by 1 person

15. Love this post, Chelsea! The only author on this list I’ve read so far is Marissa Meyer, but the rest are on my wishlist as well! LOLing because I’ve had the exact same thought about taking a week off from life to read all. the. books. And then thinking my husband would roll his eyes at me like I’m a loon if I ever actually said that out loud! 😂

Liked by 1 person

16. I read Lunar Chronicles. For rest of the books and famous authors, I will stand by your side and apologize for not reading yet. 😉

Liked by 1 person

17. Ooo I havent Neil Gaiman (i butchered his name, oops) either!! His books sound super interesting though 😃

18. So many books!!! A world with sliding doors Chelsea…only solution 😊

19. Stunning covers but I haven’t read any either Chelsea!!! Is that bad??? 🙂

20. Brandie says:

I’m a huge fan of Tarryn Fisher. And Tarryn would tell you to read Gaiman – she has recommended his books to her readers in the past. And I still haven’t read one of his books…so you’re not alone! 😉

21. You are not alone! 🙂

I’ve had Scorpio Races on my To Read list for a long time now, and I’ve since added Raven Boys. Also, Tucker’s He Will Be My Ruin. I did read Gaiman’s The Ocean at the End of the Lane though awhile back. 🙂

22. rmlblog says:

As a Sanderson buff, I suggest starting with Elantris which is a mostly stand-alone and not nearly so long. The Steelheart series is ya really and is lighter, but still hard-core sf/fantasy. I enjoyed Cinder and Scarlet, but I haven’t gotten back to her. My favorite Gaimans are American Gods, Anansi Boys and Good Omens. Haven’t read Tucker or Stiefvater. You might want to try Guy Gavriel Kay’s Tigana which is my favorite fantasy book. By the way, I’m character driven which explains my choices.

23. Mischenko says:

The Lunar Chronicles and Bad Mommy are on my list for this year. Honestly, many of these authors I haven’t read either. The Neil Gaiman’s that I did read, I loved. Great post! ❤

Liked by 1 person

24. Read Mud Vein by Tarryn Fisher. It’s emotional destruction at its finest. 🙂 ~Amber

Liked by 1 person

25. Ah Sanderson! He’s definitely an interesting author. I hope you like his books- they’re some of my favorites.
    Thank you for admitting that you haven’t gotten around to reading a bunch of SUPERPOPULAR books. Sometimes when I see books being reviewed on Every. Single. Blog. I feel a little sheepish abut not getting around to them. So I’m glad I’m not the only one who’s a bit behind:)

Liked by 1 person

26. You need to get on Marissa Meyer and Maggie Stiefvater! I love both of their books so much! 😍 I haven’t read a Neil Gaiman book either, but I really do want to read American Gods someday! 😂

Liked by 1 person

27. I lost my Gaimanity earlier this year with his Norse Mythology book, really enjoyed it and I found that there’s a few others in the blogging world who haven’t read him either.

Eurgh Sanderson!😂 I have to go against popular opinion here and say he doesn’t do it for me. I read the first Mistborn book and enjoyed it so I hope you and Bentley do too but I’m not sure why but I never wanted to read another book by him after that or continue the trilogy, weird I guess!😂 Lots of people do love him though.

Liked by 1 person

28. I haven’t read most of these either, except for Marrisa Meyer. She’s a must read! Her book Cress is one of my all-time favorites. Some of the best books touch you so deeply you shed tears. This is one of them—and I’m a macho dude who HATES crying if that says anything.

29. Cathy says:

I listened to the Steelheart series on audio. MacLeod Andrews is an amazing narrator.

30. Justine says:

Neil Gaiman and Brandon Sanderson are two of my favorites!

31. kat28w says:

I have ka tucker on my shelf too, and never read her. think I have bad mummy on my shelf too.

Liked by 1 person

32. Brandon Sanderson is at the top of my authors to read too! I keep meaning to get his books. Hoping to get to them one day soon! Hope you enjoy.